History of the Coalition of Persons with Disabilities Newfoundland and Labrador
The Coalition of Persons with Disabilities – Newfoundland and Labrador was first established in 1983 by persons with disabilities who believed that a provincial cross-disability organization was necessary for advancing the status of persons with disabilities. The original and enduring tenet of the Coalition is that an inclusive societal model is crucial to ensuring the rights of persons with disabilities.
Incorporated in 1983, the Coalition was formerly called the Consumer Organization of Disabled People of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Coalition of Persons with Disabilities Newfoundland and Labrador is a provincial cross-disability organization that educates and advises community stakeholders interested in advancing the status of persons with disabilities. Cross disability refers to all disability types such as physical, sensory, mental health, and learning disabilities.
Using an evidence-based approach, the Coalition is dedicated to promoting and achieving an inclusive and equitable society for all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians living with disabilities. The Coalition focuses on identifying underlying issues that create or have the potential to create systemic barriers for persons with disabilities.
The mandate and goals of the Coalition are achieved by working in partnership with primary stakeholders, including:
- Individuals with disabilities and their families living throughout Newfoundland and Labrador;
- Department of Health and Community Services
- Department of Children, Seniors and Social Development
- Minister Responsible for the Status of Persons with Disabilities
- Disability Policy Office
- Department of Service NL
- Council of Canadians with Disabilities (CCD)
- The Network of Disability Organizations
Past Presidents (1982 – Present)
- Irene McGinn (1982)
- Fern Jennings (1982-1984)
- Robert (Bob) Hollett (1984-1988)
- Kenneth March (1988-1990)
- Eric Norman (1990-1992)
- Job Goudie (1992-1996)
- Cathy Murphy (1996-1998)
- Marie Ryan (1998-2004)
- Job Goudie (2004-2006)
- Marie White (2006-2008)
- Susan Ralph (2008-2010)
- Michelle Murdoch (2010-2013)
- Jerry Weir (2013-2017)